bookworming

bookworming

In the Moors by NIna Milton

In the Moors is the first in the Shaman Mystery series from Midnight Ink Books.

Set around the Somerset Levels and in Bridgwater, where sleuthing heroine Sabbie Dare, a therapeutic shaman in her late twenties, lives. In the Moors  opens  when a body is found buried in the moors. Detective Sergeant Reynard Buckley is sure that Sabbie’s new client, Cliff Houghton—a wounded, broken man—has something to do with the chilling crime, but Sabbie believes Cliff is being set up. Continuing the therapy she'd begun with Cliff, Sabbie uncovers repressed memories hearkening back to a decades-old string of abductions and murders. But after another boy is abducted, only Sabbie can prove Cliff's innocence . . . and find the real culprit before any more lives are shattered.

The book keeps getting four to five stars on Amazon and Goodreads, so I'm not alone in having loved it, and been unable to put it down Library Journal said; Sabbie Dare is the most compelling protagonist I’ve met this year, and Milton’s tale is riveting. Perhaps readers will figure things out before Sabbie does, but the visceral suspense Milton creates is commendable, not to mention terrifying. I like pairing her work with Elly Griffiths’s atmospheric English mysteries.Professor Ronald Hutton, author of  The History of Druids (Yale University Press), writes…In the Moors has a cracking pace, evocative landscapes and a shocking twist at the end; I’ve rarely read depictions of shamanic journeying that have felt so authentic.

I'm giving it five stars, too.

Source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0738738360/ref=rdr_ext_tmb